How does the BoltSafe technology work?
BoltSafe bolt load cells measure the bolt load during assembly and over time. This means that the actual bolt load can now be determined very precisely, rather than assumed or guessed. This leads to enhanced safety in the bolted construction. In contrast to most load cells in the market, the BoltSafe technology does not work with strain gauges. It measures the changing of the magnetic field instead, using magnetoelastic technology. The BoltSafe bolt load sensor is applied on the non-driven side of a bolted connection, preferably under a nut. While tightening the bolt, force is being applied to the load washer, which will result in minor deformation of the stainless steel washer. The sensor constantly measures changes in electrical resistance caused by these deformations. This data is used to determine the actual bolt load at any given moment. The load cells can monitor the bolt load periodically or continuously, depending on the chosen sensor (PMS or CMS). Another application of the load sensors is in temporary construction. In this case the sensors are used as washers to check the load in the construction to make sure that the temporary construction does not collapse.
BoltSafe offers measuring solutions to visualize bolt load for various industries using compact sensors. These bolt load sensors have been developed using a unique technology, are easy to use and provide accurate measurements.
We aim to achieve utmost care and excellent production. We do this through our in-house production and R&D department who combine reliability and innovation. The quest for innovation never stops! With our technical expertise and twenty years of experience, we are able to provide trustworthy advice in every customer’s situation.
What are the benefits of the BoltSafe technology?
- Magnetoelastic technology is used instead of strain gauges, piezoelectric technology or a similar method. This causes BoltSafe load sensors to be more compact (low clearance) and less expensive.
- BoltSafe measures the bolt load across the entire surface of the ring instead of using just a few pressure points.
- Calibration is done in the load cell, which means that there is no calibration needed at the side of the readout equipment. When you want to switch between different readout methods with the same bolt load sensor, no recalibration is needed. This is a feature that is rarely seen in other technologies!
- The BoltSafe load cells send out only digital signals and they can withstand very low and very high loads from 18 kN to 3000 kN.
- BoltSafe load sensors have almost no creep effect, which makes them drift free. When the washers are used in the field at any given possible circumstance, there is a maximum deviation of 5% of the full scale.
- Since the sensors meet the IP66 rating, they are dust free and water resistant.